This week, Bernie Sanders has clearly established via a twitter message that he was to legalize cannabis if elected at the next US election :
Then, in his campaign program, Mr. Sanders says that is going to legalize marijuana and vacate and expunge past marijuana convictions, and ensure that revenue from legal marijuana is reinvested in communities hit hard by the War on Drugs.
Here is an excerpt:
End the War on Drugs and Stop Criminalizing Addiction
The disastrous policies that make up the War on Drugs have not reduced drug use and violent crime. We must use effective therapeutic, not punitive, solutions to address drug addiction.
As president, Bernie will:
- Legalize marijuana and vacate and expunge past marijuana convictions, and ensure that revenue from legal marijuana is reinvested in communities hit hardest by the War on Drugs.
- Provide people struggling with addiction with the health care they need by guaranteeing health care — including inpatient and outpatient substance abuse and mental health services with no copayments or deductibles — to all people as a right, not a privilege, through a Medicare-for-all, single-payer program.
- Decriminalize possession of buprenorphine, which helps to treat opioid addiction, and ensure that first responders carry naloxone to prevent overdoses.
- Legalize safe injection sites and needle exchanges around the country, and support pilot programs for supervised injection sites, which have shown to substantially reduce drug overdose deaths.
- Raise the threshold for when drug charges are federalized, as federal charges carry longer sentences.
- Work with states to fund and pursue innovative overdose prevention initiatives.
- Institute a full review of the current sentencing guidelines and end the sentencing disparity between crack and cocaine.
Link to the Bernie Sanders program here
In conclusion, this is another huge step forward for the growing cannabis market worldwide. Now we can affirm that there is a glimmer of hope that the US joins the movement
This article is written and published by The Cannabis Stock
Disclaimer : The Cannabis Stock wants to promote the cannabis market with the best publication on the market. The Cannabis Stock does not recommend selling or buying any of the company mentioned and is not responsible for any losses that may result.